Using the original "Appetite For Destruction" master recordings, Slash and Marshall painstakingly worked together to replicate his "AFD" sound.
"This is an idea I've had for quite some time," said Slash. "So many fans have been trying to duplicate that sound. I thought, 'Who better than to really perfect it other than Marshall?' We spent a lot of time together developing this amp. We stripped a couple of guitar tracks off the original 'Appetite For Destruction' masters and basically got in there with a fine tooth comb and sussed out exactly what made that sound the way that it was."
After countless hours and several prototypes, the AFD100 was born with two distinct, footswitchable modes labeled #34 and AFD, both offering 100% pure Slash sounds. The first is based on the modified JCM800 2203 he's used since the late '80s and had "34" stenciled on the side, hence the "#34" name. The second is, of course, pure, unadulterated AFD.
"We used 'Night Train' as one of the man reference tracks and the amp sounds just like it," Slash concludes. "I think we've been totally successful!"
The amp boasts a mixture of both traditional and modern Marshall aesthetics — a unique blend of Plexi, JCM800 and Silver Jubilee cosmetics. In addition to its dual, footswitchable modes, the AFD100 also has the following features:
* Two inputs — high and low sensitivity
* Built-in Electronic Power Attenuation. Controlled by a front-panel knob, this allows you to adjust the amp's output from 100% to 0.01%, and anywhere in-between, without sacrificing the tone and feel of those all-important power valves.
* Footswitchable* Series FX loop with Return Level control.
* Valve Fault Indicator: meaning that if one of the output valves develops a fault, a visual indicator on the rear of the amplifier shows which one is working incorrectly. This "roadie friendly feature" will save valuable time getting the amplifier back up and running again, should a valve issue occur.
* Auto-Bias & Bias Current Trimmer to ensure correct power valve biasing and optimal valve life and function
* NOTE: A two-way, LED Footcontroller (PEDL-00054) comes supplied with the AFD100, facilitating switching between the #34 & AFD modes, plus FX Loop on/off.
To commemorate the 23 years that have passed since the recording of "Appetite for Destruction", the AFD100 is limited to 2,300 units worldwide, 500 in the U.S. Retail price is $2899.
AFD100 Slash Signature amplifier can be found at the 2011 Winter NAMM show at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California running January 13 through January 16 at Hall C stand 4811.
For more info visit AFD100.com and MarshallAmps.com.
Marshall Amps - AFD100 launch