Led Zeppelin will release expanded versions of “Led Zeppelin IV” and “Houses Of The Holy” this fall as they contine their extensive reissues program.
Due October 28, both albums have been newly remastered by guitarist and producer Jimmy Page and are accompanied by a second disc of companion audio comprised entirely of unreleased music related to that album.
The second round of reissues begins with one of the most artistically influential and commercially successful albums in the history of music, "Led Zeppelin IV". Released in November 1971, the album — which is officially untitled — defined the sound of rock music for a generation with ubiquitous anthems such as "Stairway To Heaven", "Rock And Roll", "Black Dog" and "When The Levee Breaks". The album was inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame in 1999, has been certified 23x platinum by the RIAA.
The "Led Zeppelin IV" deluxe edition includes unreleased versions of every song heard on the original album including alternate mixes of "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Four Sticks", mixes of "The Battle Of Evermore" and "Going To California" heavy with guitar and mandolin, and the fabled, alternate version "Stairway To Heaven", mixed at the Sunset Sound Studio in Los Angeles which lets fans hear one of the most revered songs of all time as they have never heard it before.
Led Zeppelin topped the charts again in 1973 with "Houses Of The Holy", which features legendary tracks such as "The Song Remains The Same" and "No Quarter" while also showcasing the continuing evolution of the band's signature sound with the reggae-tinged "D'yer Mak'er" and the funk jam "The Crunge". The album has been certified diamond by the RIAA for sales of over 11 million copies.
The seven unreleased tracks on the companion audio disc include rough and working mixes for "The Ocean" and "Dancing Days" that reveal a deeper look inside the recording sessions of these classic songs. Other standout recordings include the guitar mix backing track for "Over The Hills And Far Away" and a version of "The Rain Song" without piano.
"Led Zeppelin IV" and "Houses Of The Holy" will each be available in the following formats:
* Single CD - Remastered album packaged in a gatefold card wallet.
* Deluxe Edition (2CD) - Remastered album, plus a second disc of unreleased companion audio.
* Single LP - Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl, packaged in a sleeve that replicates the LP's first pressing in exacting detail.
* Deluxe Edition Vinyl (2LP) - Remastered album and unreleased companion audio on 180-gram vinyl.
* Digital Download - Remastered album and companion audio will both be available.
* Super Deluxe Boxed Set - This collection includes:
- Remastered album on CD in vinyl replica sleeve.
- Companion audio on CD in card wallet featuring new alternate cover art.
- Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve replicating first pressing.
- Companion audio on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve with new alternate cover art.
- High-def audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit.
- Hard bound, 80 page book filled with rare and previously unseen photos and memorabilia.
- High-quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered.
Last month, Led Zeppelin kicked off their reissue series with the release of expanded editions of the band’s first three albums – “Led Zeppelin I”, “Led Zeppelin II” and “Led Zeppelin III” – each with a companion disc of bonus material.
"Led Zeppelin IV" track listing
01. Black Dog
02. Rock And Roll
03. The Battle of Evermore
04. Stairway To Heaven
05. Misty Mountain Hop
06. Four Sticks
07. Going To California
08. When The Levee Breaks
Companion Audio Disc
01. Black Dog - Basic Track With Guitar Overdubs
02. Rock And Roll - Alternate Mix
03. The Battle Of Evermore - Mandolin/Guitar Mix From Headley Grange
04. Stairway To Heaven - Sunset Sound Mix
05. Misty Mountain Hop - Alternate Mix
06. Four Sticks - Alternate Mix
07. Going To California - Mandolin/Guitar Mix
08. When The Levee Breaks - Alternate UK Mix
"Houses of the Holy" track listing:
01. The Song Remains The Same
02. The Rain Song
03. Over The Hills And Far Away
04. The Crunge
05. Dancing Days
06. D'yer Mak'er
07. No Quarter
08. The Ocean
Companion Audio Disc
01. The Song Remains The Same - Guitar Overdub Reference Mix
02. The Rain Song - Mix Minus Piano
03. Over The Hills And Far Away - Guitar Mix Backing Track
04. The Crunge - Rough Mix - Keys Up
05. Dancing Days - Rough Mix With Vocal
06. No Quarter - Rough Mix With JPJ Keyboard Overdubs - No Vocal
07. The Ocean - Working Mix
Robert Plant launches fan contest to create official video
Robert Plant to launch new album at iTunes Festival
Led Zeppelin: John Bonham memorial fundraising event announced
VIDEO: Robert Plant previews new album with short film
Search Led Zeppelin at hennemusic