Wednesday, July 20, 2016
The Beatles will release an expanded version of 1977’s “Live At The Hollywood Bowl” package this fall.
Due September 9, the set mixes the band’s performances from 1964 and 1965 at the famed venue, alongside four previously unreleased tunes.
“The chaos, I might almost say panic, that reigned at these concerts was unbelievable unless you were there,” wrote producer Sir George Martin in his album notes for the original 1977 package. “Only three track recording was possible; The Beatles had no ‘fold back’ speakers, so they could not hear what they were singing, and the eternal shriek from 17,000 healthy, young lungs made even a jet plane inaudible.”
The revamped reissue was newly-remastered by the late Beatles producer’s son, Giles Martin, and engineer Sam Okell at Abbey Road Studios.
“A few years ago Capitol Studios called saying they’d discovered some Hollywood Bowl three track tapes in their archive,” explains Giles. “Technology has moved on since my father worked on the material all those years ago. Now there’s improved clarity, and so the immediacy and visceral excitement can be heard like never before.
“My father’s words still ring true, but what we hear now is the raw energy of four lads playing together to a crowd that loved them. This is the closest you can get to being at the Hollywood Bowl at the height of Beatlemania. We hope you enjoy the show…”
“The Beatles: Live At The Hollywood Bowl” is being issued as a companion to director Ron Howard’s upcoming feature film documentary, “The Beatles: Eight Days A Week - The Touring Years.”
Following a world premiere event in London on September 15, the film will roll out theatrically worldwide with release dates set in the U.K., France and Germany (September 15); the U.S., Australia and New Zealand (September 16); and Japan (September 22).
In the U.S., Hulu is the presenting partner for Abramorama’s theatrical release of the film, which will be available to stream exclusively to Hulu subscribers beginning September 17.
“The Beatles: Live At The Hollywood Bowl” will be available on CD, digital download and streaming on September 9, followed by a 180-gram gatefold vinyl LP on November 18.
“Live At The Hollywood Bowl”
Release date: September 9
01. "Twist and Shout" [August 30th, 1965]
02. "She's A Woman" [August 30th, 1965]
03. "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" [August 30th, 1965 / August 29th, 1965 - one edit]
04. "Ticket to Ride" [August 29th, 1965]
05. "Can't Buy Me Love" [August 30th, 1965]
06. "Things We Said Today" [August 23rd, 1964]
07. "Roll Over Beethoven" [August 23rd, 1964]
08. "Boys" [August 23rd, 1964]
09. "A Hard Day's Night" [August 30th, 1965]
10. "Help!" [August 29th, 1965]
11. "All My Loving" [August 23rd, 1964]
12. "She Loves You" [August 23rd, 1964]
13. "Long Tall Sally" [August 23rd, 1964]
14. "You Can't Do That" [August 23rd, 1964] *
15. "I Want To Hold Your Hand" [August 23rd, 1964] *
16. "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby" [August 30th, 1965] *
17. "Baby's In Black" [August 30th, 1965] *
* previously unreleased
Beatles producer George Martin dead at 90
VIDEO: Pianist performs John Lennon’s Imagine outside Paris club
The Beatles issue restored video for A Day In The Life
AUDIO: David Gilmour covers The Beatles on new compilation
Search The Beatles at hennemusic